Current measurement already integrated:
Bipolar step motor driver for low-power applications
Low BOM costs, high motor current and extremely quiet operation:
The TC78H670FTG stepper motor driver from TOSHIBA is recommended for battery- or accumulator-powered applications with high integration density.
The IC can drive a stepper motor with a resolution of up to 128 microsteps and a voltage of 2.5 V to 16 V at currents of up to 2 A.
The output on-resistance (RDS(ON)) is only 0.48 Ω. The extremely low standby current of only 0.1 µA extends battery life. The wide logic voltage range of 1.8 V to 5 V allows direct connection to µC (microcontroller), wireless SoCs and CoM modules.
The innovative Advanced Current Detection System (ACDS) eliminates the need for shunt resistors for current measurement - this saves external components and provides additional installation space on the board. The internal logic does not require an additional VDD PIN. Control is either parallel via CLK-In and DIR-In, or serial.
Via the serial interface, phase, torque, current limitation and decay can be set in both windings while the stepper motor is running.
The advantages at a glance:
|Bridge voltage||Operating voltage range: 2,5 V to 16 V up to 2 A.|
|Step modes||Full-, ½ - , ¼ - Step; 1/8 -,1/16 -, 1/32 - ,1/64 - , 1/128 - µStep|
|Minimum quiescent current||Stand-by quiescent current Iq@ 0.1µ A ensures longer runtimes with battery or rechargeable battery operation.|
|Low on-resistance||Low on-resistances of the H- and L-side power MOSFETs of typically 0.48 reduce heat loss and ensure better efficiency.|
|Protective circuits||Integrated protection circuits simplify design, reduce installation space requirements, reduce costs and contribute to higher reliability. Feedback on overcurrent (ISD), overtemperature (TSD),... via open-drain ERROR output.|
|ACDS||Das Advanced Current Detection System (ACDS) saves two shunt resistors.|
- Bridge voltage from 2.5 V to 16 V
- Current carrying capacity up to max. 2 A
- Low quiescent current: Iq = 0.1 µA @stand-by
- Logic level: 1.8 V CMOS, 5 V TTL
- Control: Serial / CLK-IN and DIR-IN
- Full-, ½ - Step, ¼- Step (step resolution)
- Microsteps: 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128
- Low on-resistance (H- & L-Side) typ. 0.48 Ω
- Stand-by PIN
- ACDS (Advanced Current Detection System)
- Saves two external shunt resistors
- VREF PIN for setting the output current
- Chopper frequency (variable from 41 kHz to 206 kHz)
- Temperature range -40 °C to +85 °C
- 16-pin P-VQFN16 package (3 mm x 3 mm)
- Split ERR/EN PIN
- Error flag: (TSD/ISD/OPD)
- Protection circuits against:
- Undervoltage (UVLO)
- Overtemperature (TSD)
- Overcurrent (ISD)
- Open motor connection (OPD)
Samples of the motor driver IC are available from stock GLYN.
Secure your samples now for a quick start.
GLYN's proven technical and commercial support ensures a fast and smooth design-in.